Multi-family housing development is undergoing a period of significant change. Rising land and construction costs have created the need for higher-level amenities and site optimization, while labor market volatility is adding urgency to technology advancements. Meanwhile, the need to reduce embodied carbon and energy consumption associated with new multi-family buildings continues to grow—driven by evolving energy codes, and designer and developer ethos. This panel will highlight innovative trends in multi-family construction, including modular and prefabrication, passive house and enclosure durability detailing, and taller mass timber structures. Hear leading experts in the fields of architecture, engineering, enclosure design, and passive house consulting discuss their experiences in the field, lessons learned, and strategies for successful multi-family projects.
- Modular Multi-Family at Scale: Designing for Fabrication Mindset, Kendra Halliwell, AIA, LEED AP, ICON Architecture
- Trends in Enclosure and Durability Detailing: Wood-Frame Multi-Family, David Ford, P.E., RRC, RWC, LEED AP, Walter P Moore
- Paneling with Purpose, Aleeta Dene, PE, APA
- Things You Should Know Before Your First Passive House Project, Brittany Porter, RA, AIA, CPHC, LEED Green Assoc., Weber Thompson
- Passive House Implementation: Regional Variations in Standards and Practice, Prudence Ferreira, CPHC®, Morrison Hershfield